Friday, November 25, 2005

When I started this blog I had to write that blurb at the top and had no idea what a blog was so I just let'er rip. Not that it's supposed to be anything, that's the beauty of it. But the more I blog the more I realize how lazy I am. Or is that, uninspired? Or uninspiring ...

Well, free spirited as I like to be, the Critic is hounding me to get some substance. So I happened upon the Self Portrait Tuesday site and think maybe I'll give it a try. This was via My Topography who also does Studio Friday. Also intriguing. I really admire women who can keep their creative energy flowing.

I've found that being perceptive and oversensitized has made me a little jaded. When I try to filter what comes in or how it affects me, the gates just shut completely. It's apparently a Capricorn trait to turn off when disappointed. But all that turning off gets me where?

Suddenly realizing that you're older than the people playing the parents on those family sitcoms that you still watch (because my daughter does) is depressing and liberating. I am not in a bubble where time stands still.

If I want to do something it has to be now, not later, whenever the conditions are better, whenever it's convenient for everyone, whether the results are less than perfect or superb. It doesn't have to be stunning. It doesn't have to get me that great job or impress a lot of people. It just has to start. Because I'm not dead yet but I really will be some day.

So, I want to do the self portraits, and take photos of what I see, and try to remember all the excellent things my kids come up with every day. Because this is life. So what about the crappy stuff. I'm gonna go charge my camera.

No comments: