Friday, September 22, 2006

angst has always been a part of my journey. ever since i set foot in europe and lost the ablility to communicate with ease. i have always, somehow, plugged along, never really getting to that place where confidence and inspiration take over and i suddenly feel ME again.

my choices in jobs, people, places, have always been influenced by having to make do in a difficult situation. and yet, i am proud of what i have done so far. even if i know i could've done better if i'd just told the damn men in my life to go take a hike and followed my own path.

the reward for the life i have chosen is my children. who could second guess that? what kind of mother even thinks about what it might of been like if she'd refused to accept a ride on somebody else's destiny. maybe that's all i'm good for.
i can't stand the compromises. i can't face myself knowing that i have only been able to do a smidge of what i had dreamed of doing and that time is runing out and i now have to go quietly to a new destiny that is not, at all, one of my choosing.

putting my foot down, as i do daily, is ripping the famiily apart. but how can i not feel scammed when i sense deeply that the man in my life is cashing in on all that struggle, so that he can buy a bungalow in texas, a place i am for some reason, savagely against living in. a life without inspiration.

to say no, is to tear my family apart. to say yes, is to lose myself to compromise all over again. at this late date, i hardly have a choice.

i feel dead.

3 comments:

James Scolari said...

sigh. don't look at it that way. anything on this page is better than bottled up inside.

you come to a lot of conclusions that might not hold water... maybe you need to re-examine some of your assumptions?

for what are you fighting?
against what are you resisting?
what are your biggest fears?

here, try this -- it's called a SWOT analysis. make successive lists of:

strengths
weaknesses
opportunities
threats

in a given situation... given that context, maybe your situation will look a little different.

finally, what goals have you set for yourself, long-term? you say you don't measure up, but against what yardstick are you measured?

time to think strategically... of course you have choices.

Blue Fairy said...

one of my long term goals has always been to become the world's most insufferable drama queen ;)

gonna do the swot thing in a more private setting, methinks

Anonymous said...

I agree with viewfinder on trying something like the SWOT approach. Rants are great to blow off steam, but effective decision-making requires calm analysis.

Here's another. Focus on the most difficult, conflicted aspect of all this for you. Go somewhere private and peaceful - pay attention to your breathing for a while until you feel very calm and can transcend all the little frustrations and details. Then - ask yourself what would be the best thing to do. Often, I find that the answer to my question is something I already know - I just haven't been able to "hear" my own heart/mind/spirit/higher wisdom (whatever you want to label it).